How to Have My Documents Legalized and Translated in Poland

Created: Nov 15, 2023 | Updated: Nov 15, 2023

When your journey takes you beyond your home country's borders, the need for document legalization and translation becomes a concern. Whether you're planning to work, study, or establish a new life in Poland, and require the seamless acceptance of your personal or professional papers, this blog post is your comprehensive guide to understanding the process of document legalization and translation in Poland.

What is Document Legalization?

Document legalization is the process of authenticating or certifying a document so it can be accepted in another country. This makes the document foolproof against the scrutinizing eyes of the law in the destination country. Basically, legalization boosts the trust of the authorities in your personal documents.


What Documents Need Legalization?

People typically need to legalize a range of documents for various purposes, depending on their needs. Common documents that people often have to legalize include:


What documents need legalization in Poland?


When Should I Legalize My Documents?

The timing and location for legalizing your documents depends on the requirements of the country where you plan to use them. It can typically be done either in your home country before you leave, or in the country you are going to. Whichever is required, it is important that you understand the specific procedures and preferences of both your home country and the destination country. 

You may choose to legalize your documents in your home country before departing, especially if you anticipate needing the documents shortly after arriving in your destination country. This can be more convenient in terms of timing, although you are not mandated to legalize your documents before travelling abroad. However, if you are travelling to Poland, contact the Ministry of the Interior and Administration in Poland to confirm what their expectations are. 


Legalizing Documents in Poland

For  Foreigners Travelling to Poland From a Non-Hague Country 

The process of legalizing foreign documents in Poland involves certifying that the document has been issued by the appropriate office. A consul certifies the authenticity of the signature and the seal or stamp of the foreign official on the document, which then allows for its use within Poland. This process, known as legalization, is required for documents from states that are not members of the Hague Convention, abolishing the requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents. For countries that are parties to this convention, like Poland, an apostille replaces the need for legalization.

For Polish Citizens Travelling to Non-Hague Countries

For Polish citizens' documents that need to be used abroad in countries not included on the list of the Hague Convention, legalization is also necessary. Legalization in Poland is confirmed by a printed sticker with a handwritten signature of an official that carries an official seal, or a hologram on it, to prevent forgery. This legalized document may require additional authentication before being submitted to the authorities of the destination country. This additional step involves presenting the document at the diplomatic representation or consular office of the destination country accredited in Poland​

The primary authority responsible for the document legalization process in Poland is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Before applying for legalization at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, some documents may require prior authentication from different authorities depending on the type of document. For example, notarial acts and court documents must be authenticated by the president of the respective regional court or court of appeal. Certificates and diplomas from educational institutions might need authentication by the National Agency for Academic Exchange or the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage, among others. Once authenticated accordingly, these documents can be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

These procedures ensure that Polish documents are properly recognized and accepted for official use abroad and that foreign documents are valid within the jurisdiction of Poland.


What do I Need to Legalize My Documents in Poland?

For Foreigners Travelling to Poland

To legalize your foreign documents in Poland, you generally need to follow these steps:

  1. Have the original document that needs legalization.
  2. Ensure the country where the document was issued is not a member of the Hague Apostille Convention.
  3. Get the document authenticated by the relevant authorities in the country of origin (this could be the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or similar authority).
  4. Take the authenticated document to the Polish consulate or embassy in the country of origin for consular legalization.
  5. Get a document translation service to translate your documents into Polish using a sworn translator if it is not already in Polish.
  6. Submit the translated and authenticated document to the Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs for final legalization.

For Polish Citizens Travelling to Other Countries

To legalize your documents in Poland, you typically need to follow these steps:

  1. Determine if your document requires legalization based on whether the country of destination recognizes the apostille.
  2. Obtain prior authentication for specific types of documents (e.g., notarial acts, educational certificates, commercial documents) from the respective Polish authorities.
  3. Apply for legalization at the Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which includes the issuing of a sticker with an official seal and signature.
  4. If required, get additional authentication at the diplomatic representation or consular office of the destination country in Poland.

The process of legalizing your documents in Poland doesn’t take very long. Applications are processed within 30 days from the date of receipt by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, however, documents are usually ready on the same day as your appointment. It also doesn’t cost very much as the legalization fee in Poland is only €30.


How to Translate My Documents in Poland

The American Translators Association defines a certified translation as, “a translation accompanied by a signed statement attesting that the translation is accurate and complete to the best of the translator's knowledge and ability.” A certified translation is a valuable service that ensures your documents maintain their legal, technical, and cultural integrity when crossing language barriers. Here’s how to get trustworthy legalized translation for your documents. 


Polish translation with Translayte


Translate With Translayte

Every document, from your identification to the document that is to be legalized but is not in Polish, needs to be translated by a certified or sworn translator in Poland, registered on the list of translators and interpreters by the Polish Consul or Ministry of Justice to be accepted. And Translayte is your number-one global provider of locally relevant translation services, including Poland in Polish translation, meeting the strict requirements set by international authorities is our top priority. 

Our team of experienced Polish translators and cutting-edge technology ensures that your documents are not merely translated, but transformed to resonate with Polish standards. We understand that precision is important, and our commitment to quality guarantees your document’s message remains intact.

Don't let language be a barrier to your desire for a better life. Choose Translayte today and unlock a world of possibilities. Request a free quote in a few easy steps by visiting our website and taking the first step towards global connectivity.


FAQs About Document Legalization in Poland


Do I Need to Visit Other Offices Before Applying for Legalization at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs?

Yes, you need to visit the relevant offices for additional authentication for documents like certificates, notarial acts, diplomas, court documents, medical qualifications, etc, before they can be legalized at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.


Does a Document Already Legalized at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Need Additional Authentication?

Yes. Following the legalization process at the Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the document must undergo further authentication before it can be submitted to the relevant authorities in another country. To accomplish this, you should present the document at an embassy or consulate of the destination country that is accredited within the Republic of Poland


Is it Possible to Legalize Multiple Documents on the Same Day?

Yes, it is possible to legalize up to 10 documents in one day but if you have a bulk of documents, it may take a little longer and you will be informed when to collect them.


Related Posts: 

Notarized Translation, Legalized Translation, & More

How to Get an Apostille on Documents Issued in Spain

How to Get an Apostille in Germany

Need a Translation?

Get an instant quote and send us your project requirements. We have qualified translators ready at short notice.

Check Prices & Order

Alternatively, send us a message. We promise a quick response.

Phone number